Who we are
Angels on Stage is a non-profit organization serving the special needs community of Northern California. We provide an opportunity for children with disabilities of any type and degree, ages 5-22, to participate in an annual musical theatre production. We are recognized as a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization and funded by the community, families and local donors.
We began in May 2007 and are now in our fifth season. This season's production of Beauty and the Beast, Jr., involves approximately 100 Angels (youth and young adults with disabilities) and 50 volunteer buddy coaches (typically developing peers). Numerous parent volunteers also dedicate time each week to make our show a success.
- Provide youth with differing abilities an equal opportunity to participate in a positive theatrical experience regardless of theatrical skill level or experience
- Provide wholesome, positive, safe, inclusionary and value-oriented atmosphere in which participants learn expression, inclusion, teamwork and interactive skills with the assistance of peer buddies
- Offer a broad variety of theater experiences to further develop self-esteem and personal confidence
- Raise awareness of our children's differing abilities, general information about the program and its positive impact to the special needs and larger community
- Expand and secure ongoing financial and general support
- Become a model for duplication to serve other children with differing abilities in surrounding areas
Testimonials from 2009/2010 seasonAngels on Stage is a safe caring place where our children can shine. As the parent of an Angel, the first thing I noticed was the staff. When you see the way the board members work and interact with the kids you immediately know that they "get it". It doesn't matter what challenge a child may face, the staff does everything possible to ensure a stress free environment that gives every Angel a chance to shine. - Parents of an angel, Jim and Kitty Rankin
Click here to read complete story Angels on Stage has been a great experience for me. I love working with kids, especially kids with certain abilities. This is their place to shine, their place to be themselves and have people here for them. I love these kids and they inspire us to do anything and I hope they go far in life. - Buddy coach, Allison Gadnar Amazing. Inspiring. Life-changing. There aren't enough words to describe all that is Angels on Stage. Every week these Angels leave us in awe of their abilities, their passion, their creativity and their love. The way Angels on stage empowers our children is simply awesome. As a mom I sat through the performances and sobbed the biggest tears of pride and joy I have ever felt, not just for my Gabriel, but for every single Angel on the stage. If you have ever wondered what life is all about, come see our Angels and they will show you, beyond measure, the only things that matter. They will fill your heart with awe, joy and hope. I think that is the greatest gift of Angels on Stage. It changes the lives of not just the Angels and their families, but EVERYONE who comes and opens themselves up for the experience. - Parent of an angel, Jeanne Griffith